Friday, June 26, 2009

The "OLD BARN" (Spectrum)











Way back in the 60's , when I was growing up . We used to go on a road trip to the stables and the "valley".It wasnt that far from my house at Franklin and Ritner. A 10 minute walk , Past Stella Maris , under the expressway and out the other side. It was like being in the country, horses, goats,ponies and stables.A little past the stables was the "valley". It was, what looked like, a pond and a stream even some wild dogs, we thought. Right on the other side of that was a bowling alley and a drive-in .One day we go to the "country" and the bowling alley is gone, the drive-in is gone and there was some contruction starting. Little did we know they were building one of the most important and revered arena's in the country.This was the beginnng of some of the area's greatest memories.The Spectrum was born.I have had some of my best times in that place.I was there for the first Flyer playoffs in 67' against the Blues. Eventually buying season tickets Sec40 Row 2 Seats 7&8. I had the thrill of the 73 & 74 Stanley Cup seasons, also the Great "Young Turks" teams of the 80's. The great sixer teams led by the great "Dr. J ". Concerts , Stones, Springsteen, Billy Joel,Van Halen,Sinatra,Kate Smith..... we could go on for hours.Luckily I landed a job with my favorite organ..I..zation, The Flyers. Well as time passed and sports grew ever bigger, there wasn't enought room in the old house to accomodate the larger crowds. We have out grown the place, we need to go BIGGER. Now we have THE best place in the country for any kind of event in the Wachovia Center.But I cant help but feel sad about the place we all grew up with . The place where we have seen some great performances , has some of our most unforgetable memories, met some of our greatest friends, and for some of us , spouses or partners. I am going to miss the "Old Barn". So if you get a chance do what I did .....go down there take some pictures and say your goodbyes.

1 comment:

  1. Cheers to the old barn!! A tear just rolled down my cheek

    ReplyDelete